La Petite Grange
Three of the four original stables in the covered end of the barn were converted in 2001 into a well equipped and furnished apartment:
- compact disc (CD, CD-R/ RW playable) and AM-FM stereo radio system (BBC Radio4 usually obtainable!)
- Tiled L-shaped living/dining room (table, chairs and two comfy armchairs) with access to both patio and garden and all white fitted kitchen corner (2 plate electric hob, mini electric oven/grill, dishwasher, fridge, stainless steel sink/drainer)
- bedroom with king-size bed (160 x 190 cm) and firm mattress on a divan base, wardrobe and ample clothes storage space;
- a selection of books and games, as well as tourist information and maps.
- laundry lobby between main room and bathroom (washing machine, open shelves, fold out drying rack, clothes basket);
- part-tiled bathroom with hand-painted "laburnum" stencilled walls (bath, with rigid shower panel, hand-basin, bidet, WC, electric extractor fan, shaver plug etc).
The following are provided for your exclusive use:
- steam iron and ironing board;
- electric kettle;
- electric toaster;
- filter coffee-maker;
- patio/ garden furniture;
- parasol and BBQ;
Good quality towels, and kitchen and bed linen are provided. Guests are responsible for their own laundry during their stay, and are welcome to use the garden washing line.
In the hotter summer months, the barn's position, with its back set snugly into the rocky hillside, and its thick interior and exterior stone walls, keep it agreeably cool. The flat is centrally heated with its own thermostat control for winter comfort. See weather for a general indication of what to expect in this area.
The flat's private patio, bordered by terraces of lavender and flowering shrubs and a "hedge" of Morning Glory (Ipomea) is large enough for meals or sunbathing. Guests are also welcome to find a favourite quiet spot in the garden, with its extensive lawns and shrubbery's, or to sit in the shade of our ancient oak tree.
All three restored stable doors open directly out onto a lawn, and the paned upper halves can be used as windows - all have views across the valley. A further paned "front" door (actually on one side!) gives directly onto the patio. The flat therefore benefits from excellent natural lighting.
Access to the apartment's patio and entrance is up a flight of landscaped stone steps equivalent to one storey. We suggest you leave your car in one of our four out of sight covered parking bays (one to two minutes' walk) except for loading and unloading at the bottom of the steps. If you have special mobility needs, this could be a problem.
Snow is very infrequent, but with excellent central heating, La Petite Grange stays snug in all weather...